The average boss is happy for workers to spend a quarter of their time working from home and, guess what? “Not being a morning person” features highly on the list of reasons for not being in the office.
Not being a morning person ranked 13th of the list of reasons bosses are given for their employees working from home. That means more people work from home to avoid an early start than those homeworking whilst waiting for a delivery, observing a religious holiday or ensuring that they are closer to a business meeting taking place that day.
However, it doesn’t come higher in the league than ‘being better able to work from home’, which ranked tenth on the list. With mobile access technologies allowing employees to get at the information that they need, regardless of where they are, homeworking often presents a great opportunity to complete tasks uninterrupted in a quiet environment.
Of course, an element of vanity crept into the homeworking chart too – though much lower than the reasons we’ve shared so far. Haircut disasters, spray-tan incidents and wearing the wrong shoes all made the list.
So, if you’re a blotchy orange colour, having a bad hair day, hobbling and wishing you could just go back to bed, let’s hope your company has a cloud strategy so you can start your day again in an hour’s time. The chances are, you’ll be more productive from home anyway!
Top reasons for remote working:
1) Dealing with childcare
2) Transportation issues
3) Health emergencies
5) Waiting for a repair man
6) Other parental responsibilities
7) Dental appointment
8) Flat tyre
9) Dealing with pets
10) Can work easier at home
11) Broken appliances preventing getting ready
12) Airport delay
13) Not a morning person
14) Forgot phone/wallet at home
15) Piking up supplies for the office
16) Waiting for a delivery
17) Relationship issues
18) Need peace and quiet
19) Locked in
20) Helping someone with a broken-down car
21) Religious day
22) Alarm ‘switched itself off’
23) Easier to get to a meeting from home
24) Parking ticket
25) Neighbour/friend gone into labour
26) More environmentally friendly to work from home
27) Had to go home as worried about having left an appliance on
28) Broadband is quicker at home
29) Forgot travelcard/ticket
30) Recovering from cosmetic surgery
31) Wrong shoes
32) Hair-cut disasters
33) Spray-tan accidents
34) Housemate’s relationship issues